- 120g rice, cooked
- 1/2 brown onion, finely diced
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 celery stick, finely diced
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely diced
- 8ml olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 garlic clove, crushed
- 200g lean beef mince
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can reduced salt crushed tomatoes
- 200ml cold water
- 5 wholemeal or grain wraps
- 1/3 cup cos lettuce, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced
- 50g cheese, shredded
- Cook rice according to packet instructions.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, capsicum, chilli powder and cumin. Stir and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until vegetables soften.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add beef mince, stir and use wooden spoon to break meat into small pieces. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until mince browns slightly.
- Drain and rinse kidney beans. Add to pan with canned tomatoes and water. Stir and bring to the boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Mix cooked rice through chilli con carne.
- Serve 2 tbsp of meat mix on a warm wrap. For children under 1 year old, make the wraps for them.
- For a gluten free option, ensure the crushed garlic (if using commercial crushed garlic) and chilli powder are gluten free.
This recipe is part of Nutrition Australia Vic Division’s Long Day Care Menu Pack.
The long day care menu pack is a rotating four-week seasonal menu, tailored to the number of children in each centre. It was first launched in 2019 and continues to be a popular product for Nutrition Australia Vic Division.